Saturday, April 25, 2009

Ding! Ding! Taco time!

That was my dinner bell sounding. Did you hear it?

I mentioned (on facebook) a couple new recipes I was trying and had some people wanting to know more about the deliciousness I was bragging about. I go through phases when I love cooking dinner and trying new things. Then I go through phases where I'm feeding my fambly hamburger helper several times a week. *cough*

I am apparently in a "new recipe" phase right now.

So the first glorious new recipe I tried last week was Lime Chicken Tacos. I love taco feast and thought it would be fun to have a more different feast than the usual ground beef and refried beans filling. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com, which is my go to recipe website. Love it. So I'll just be copying it here and putting my changes in parenthesis.

Lime Chicken Soft Tacos

INGREDIENTS

* 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cubed
* 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
* 1/2 lime, juiced
* 1 teaspoon white sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 2 green onions, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano (I omitted this. I read in the reviews that it made them taste Italianlicious. Others suggested cilantro instead, but I think that tastes like soap)
* 10 (6 inch) flour tortillas
* 1 tomato, diced
* 1/4 cup shredded lettuce
* 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
* 1/4 cup salsa


DIRECTIONS (as stated, my directions below)

1. Saute chicken in a medium saucepan over medium high heat for about 20 minutes. Add vinegar, lime juice, sugar, salt, pepper, green onion, garlic and oregano. Simmer for an extra 10 minutes.
2. Heat an iron skillet over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan, warm, and turn over to heat the other side. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve lime chicken mixture in warm tortillas topped with tomato, lettuce, cheese and salsa.

Here's what I really did:

1. I doubled the vinegar/lime juice blah blah mixture and marinated the chicken in half of it for several hours. I put the other half in the fridge for later. This saved me time when I actually had to make dinner.

2. I grilled the chicken for maximum deliciousness. You know how meat always tastes best from the grill, right? Then I chopped the chicken up into little pieces and threw it in a pan with the lime juice mixture I saved from earlier (not the marinade, I tossed that). I simmered it until the juices were pretty much gone, maybe 10 minutes?

3. Assemble into delicious tacos. Guacamole was a perfect addition.

The verdict:

These tacos were awesome. Super limey. They slid down the gullet trap perfectly for lunch and dinner the next day also.

No comments: