Thursday, March 18, 2010

A lesson in humility

This post was going to be called "How I laugh in the face of danger!" In fact, I was mentally composing this post about how I do just that. I think you're supposed to take pins out before you sew over them. My grandma taught me how to use a sewing machine, and she said it was cool to just leave them in. So I always have.

I am aware of the danger to my eyes and face, but hey, I laugh in the face of danger. Also, I don't think I've ever hurt myself from this dangerous habit.

I am Ashley, destroyer of pins!

The pin with the sharp curve is a casualty of the danger. I have also hit a metal zipper stop and had my needle break into three pieces, one of which cut my face really close to my eye. I have been more careful with zippers ever since then.

So there I was, laughing in the face of danger when it happened. I hit a pin, bending it down into my machine. I should probably be more worried about hurting my sewing machine! Anyway, I am able to extract the fallen solder. A few seconds later my needle JUST BREAKS. That's it. Oh hi, I'm gonna break now. Love, your Needle.

So, I changed my needle and quit laughing. The end.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

The same thing happens to me all the time, except the last time, when the pin broke in pieces, one piece jammed in the machine so it doesn't run anymore...

Unknown said...

yikes, I have had dreams that a needle broke and shot into my eye so I am mortally scared of sewing over them...but I still do it anyway. glad you didn't get hurt!