Wednesday, March 9, 2011

They are finished (along with my sanity).

A little while ago I bought some patterns from Pacific Designs on etsy.  I was finishing up a bunch of wallets at the time, and I was looking forward to making something new without going through all the work of designing it myself.

The Mia Rose has cute leather accents and leather straps- the perfect opportunity to learn to sew more with leather!

IMG_2114

I was all too right.  I learned more than I wanted, that's for sure!

IMG_2123

It converts from a small handbag into a wristlet.  It's kind of the perfect size for a small bag, and I love it.  I wanted to tell it that before I say what I'm about to say.

IMG_2142

I have spent 2.5 days working on these bags.  It's not the pattern's fault or anything.  In fact, the pattern is well written, easy to understand, and fun.  However, I couldn't seem to help but have to do everything at least two times on almost all of these.  Oops I sewed too close to the zipper!  Oops I can't get my machine to smoothly topstitch those cute pleats.  Oops I can't figure out the tension to sew leather.  Oops I have to put my walking foot on my machine every time I need to sew leather.  Oops this leather is too mothertrucking thick to go through my wussy (but dear) sewing machine.

Sorry girl, I don't know if you're a wussy so much as you're probably not meant to do heavy work like that.

I broke two needles.  I used two others, switched to my walking foot eleventy times, and I used a variety of hardware because I was unable to find the pattern required size of super tiny d-rings.  Oh well.

Anyway, I got a few of these listed in my shop and will get the rest done soon.  They turned out cute, I learned some lessons, and now I have to be done.  I've earned it!

I've been working on some cute pouches today, and it feels so easy, like hot drawn butter.

IMG_1986

Felix has been trying to slick back his hair.  Maybe I should get him some pomade or something?  One of those sweet combs they have in Grease??

IMG_1963

1 comment:

Michelle said...

The wristlet/purses are WAY cute, but not nearly as cute as Felix! What an adorable little greaser! ;)