Saturday, February 20, 2010

How to spend $14.50 like a champion:

1 big chalk board
1 vintage carry on bag
2 metal baskets
1 vintage clutch
5 pounds of coffee
1 espresso machine
2 cardigans in shades of blue/green

and my personal favorite...



This cool leathery turban/gypsy looking hat that I may or may not be wearing backwards. I love it so much that I tried to make it look romantic in this picture.

Some other things that I should probably tell you regarding this particular thrift store- it's for a food bank that is in the same building. That is how I got 5 pounds of coffee for $5. I bought a bag when it was $2 a pound and was willing to pay that for a couple bags when I went into the store. When I saw the drop in price I snagged a whole bunch, which is awesome because I wanted to include some in a package Felix and I are putting together for someone in Korea. Someone who is unable to find coffee that is not instant that does not cost her life savings. Someone who is my favorite. Did you guess who?

Laura!

Anyway. They usually have bread and bakery stuff in the thrift store for FREE. I think it's day old. Free bread is unlimited to anyone, and sweet stuff is a limit of 2 packages per family. So I got some free bagels because there was so much free bread today that they had extra tables out to put it on.

I would also like to thank the universe for once again hooking me up with my soul's greatest desires. Ok, so the universe hasn't solved all my problems, but it did do me some BIG favors today:

1. Saw a hat like my new favorite thing ever on etsy, loved it, wished I could have it, etc. This one cost me less than $1, and an older man behind me was jealous!

2. I've been wanting some metal/plastic bins to put cleaning supplies in- like one for bathroom stuff, kitchen stuff, etc. Thanks universe!

3. Cheap coffee? Oh universe, you shouldn't have!

4. $2 super nice espresso machine with "perfect froth" to present to my favorite man prize, Chainsaw? Yes, please!

I'm starting to have a very hard time paying full price for things. Not because I'm cheap, but because it doesn't seem to make sense to pay full price when I can get what I want for much cheaper. It takes a little more work, but it's worth it in so many ways!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Ok, after I've made significant moving-in headway, you need to introduce me to this super awesome thrift store. I love that turban. It's so 1985 Liz Taylor.

M.M.E. said...

Wow, you made some great purchases. I don't pay full-price for anything anymore. I buy all of my clothes from clearance racks or thrift shops. I'd just rather spend my money on other things. You have a great Etsy shop by the way.